PST corruption is a common problem faced by Outlook users. In fact, the feature-rich and more robust Outlook 2010 can give you a tough time if the attached PST file becomes corrupt. Since PST is where Outlook stores all the information, it is indeed a cause of concern. PST corruption can occur in many scenarios ranging from abrupt system shutdown to power fluctuation and others. In such situations, you might come across various annoying problems including Outlook quitting unexpectedly or error messages while launching Outlook etc. To handle all these issues, it is better that you use a clean and updated backup copy of the PST file. However, if a backup copy doesn’t exist or cannot be used, then you can seek professional help by using an advanced PST repair software.
Consider a scenario, wherein, you have installed Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 machine. You launch Outlook 2010 to do regular tasks, including sending or receiving e-mails among others. The attempt fails and Outlook 2010 experiences an unexpected crash. The following information is received in the error signature:
The abrupt exit by Outlook 2010 indicates that the attached PST file is corrupt or damaged. Since PST file corruption is a serious issue, you must gear up to observe effective Outlook PST repair steps, described in the ‘Resolution’ part of this article.
In order to address PST corruption issue, you must use the inbuilt utility Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe). Here is a list of steps which you must observe:
· Close Outlook 2010
· Browse and open the following folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
· Now, double-click Scanpst.exe
· Click Browse in the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool box
· Browse and select your affected PST file for Outlook 2010. The default location of a PST file for Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 machine is: C:\Users\username\My Documents\Outlook Files
· Now, click Start in the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool box
· As the scanning ceases, you must review the information given in the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool box
· Enable the checkbox Make backup copy of scanned file before repairing
· Click Repair
· After the repair process gets over, click OK
· Go to the folder where original PST file is stored. In this folder, you will find three files viz filename.bak (unrepair, backup copy of the affected PST file), filename.log (log report of the repair information) and filename.pst (repaired PST file).
Use this repaired PST file with your Outlook 2010. If you still encounter the same problem, then opt for a third-party PST repair application.
Applications like Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair tool can be relied upon to attain successful and safe results. This read-only application recovers corrupt PST files and supports Outlook 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000 versions. Recovery of individual e-mail messages in MSG or EML format is also possible through this Outlook PST repair software.